Sunday, July 13, 2008

do androids dream of electric sleep?

I made it through three night shifts, although, just barely.

By the third night on about four hours of non-restorative sleep, I was so exhausted I couldn't understand English, which is my first and only language, for God's sake:

CT Tech:
[incomprehensible mumble]

JAMIE:
[grumpy, clueless silence, imagining self tucked away in bed, as it's 1:30a.m.]

CT tech:
[louder, incomprehensible mumble]

JAMIE:
[still orbiting Planet Clueless]
Sorry, huh?

CT tech:
[same incomprensible mumble]

JAMIE:
[wishing she was in bed, asleep, and not looking like a deaf, demented person who clearly shouldn't be licensed to provide health care services to others in need]
WHAT?

CT tech:
[completely annoyed]
Never mind.

I don't think I've ever been so tired I couldn't understand my own frickin' language, when spoken to me by an equally native speaker, but that's how tired I was.

I mean, in my favor, her head was turned the other way, facing the scanner, but I doubt lip reading would have helped me any way at that point.

I was okay the first night, but after two days of complete shit for sleep (eg fall into bed, exhausted, only to wake up, even more exhausted, at 1:30p and not be able to gt back to sleep) I was feeling both murderous and completely foggy at the same time--a bonus, as surely it's more difficult to pull off homicide when one is too uncoordinated to do much more than stare blankly into space for long periods of time.

Plus, the first night, I hadn't been able to nap before my shift, so by the time I got off shift the following morning, I'd been up for nearly twenty four hours straight, and certainly had been up that long by the time I went to bed.

Today, I toppled into bed in the middle of writing an e-mail. When I got up, I realized I'd also inexplicably popped some popcorn, which was left in the microwave, bag and all. I only have a vague memory of popping the popcorn, and am certainly glad I didn't decide to bake a cake and fall asleep with my head in the oven, or decide to use the toaster in the shower, to save time in both eating and daily hygiene routines.

I'm beginning to think those "sleep-walking" murder trial defenses aren't so hokey after all.







No comments: