Monday, August 28, 2006

Equus.

I read somewhere, not to long ago, something that I wish to purge from my mind completely, but can't seem to.

So, there was an interview with the Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe. In that interview, he was talking about a play, Equus and how he'd been offered the role of the boy (you know, the one who gouges out the eyes of all his horses, or however it goes).

Then I went on to read that the play is traditionally played in the nude, and how Radcliffe went on to say he'd probably honor that tradition, because who was he to flout theatrical tradition?

And all I could think was, Ewwwww! Oh for the love of God and small children who idolize Harry Potter movies, please flout theatrical tradition!

Dude, the prefect bathroom scene with a lecherous Moaning Myrtle in Goblet of Fire was creepy enough.

I suppose first characters are a terrible thing for child actors to get over, and I suppose few transfer to adult roles--or adulthood, for that matter--without some difficulty (read: lots of drugs and alcohol).

Because, poor kid, it's going to be awhile before people stop mentioning his Harry Potter career. Imagine being his first real-life girlfriend, and all her friends shrieking, "Oh my God! You're dating Harry Potter?!"

No comments: