Thursday, November 16, 2006

Another Use for the Dative of Interest!

Let's pretend I know Latin.

(And while we're in fantasy land, let's pretend I'm beautiful and rich! And super smart! And that someone dropped a house on the CEO of a certain hospital!)

If I knew Latin (ah! the subjunctive!) I would know how to translate the dative of interest (I think) sentence: "Do you want the job--are you sure?"

But I can't be bothered to work it out, and you're probably wondering why I'm dragging the reader through this really boring, only-Jamie-thinks-its-funny joke.

Merely because I got a call from a local hospital at which I had politely turned down a job--because of the travel position--and the Director of Human Resources said, "Umm, are you sure you can't work for us? No? Well, can you come work for us after your assignment ends?"

See, that's the joke! The dative of interest!

Wow. I need to go back to work. All this free time to think up lame Wheelock Latin grammar coincidences is starting to scare even me.





No comments: