Sunday, November 12, 2006

Frolicher Landmann

I am eating Jolly Rancher candies and remembering a not-so-wonderful undergrad memory of chasing a 40 of malt liquor with the only foodstuff available at the party: Jolly Ranchers.

Because malt liquor is truly grotesque.

And Jolly Ranchers... are... well...

mysterious.

I mean, what
's with the vaguely creepy name?

Wikipedia's article on the candy (boy, someone with even more time on their hands than me!) states that the name "suggests western hospitality."

Really.

Then why didn't they call it "Friendly Western Candy" or "Happy Cowhand Candy"?

I mean, I don't know. I've always wondered--in a suspicious way--why the ranchers are "jolly." And why the candy isn't therefore cattle flavored.

No, Jolly Ranchers put me more in mind of Schumann's Frolicher Landmann (sorry Katy, don't know how to do HTML umlauts).

I'm just saying, that's all.


No comments: