Monday, March 26, 2007

silence of the lambs

Today's topic is: horizontal violence at work, and why it sucks.

Except, I'm too tired, and too burnt out to tell you how I Cried At Work In The Breakroom for the second time in two years (should this ever happen at all, in any job?) yesterday because I felt so burnt out from the pointless abuse everyone is subjected to on a typical hospital shift.

LIke I get reamed out by the attending physician and a completely has-no-business-at-all-with-the-patient-sitting-around-charting-on-some-
other-patient doc. And not for something stupid, like: 'Dude man, the guy needs like, a stool softener, and it's 2 a.m., and I woke you up for this 'tard order."

Rather, it was like, "Dude, Beavis, I'm calling to let you know that your neck fracture guy has had major mental status and respiratory system changes (on a neuro surgical stepdown unit patient) plus y'all had an abnormal admission lab two days ago that never received a proper work up, and not only is that Bad For the Patient, it's also like, seriously bad medical malpractice karma, dude."

Meanwhile my co-workers stood around and acted like it was normal work place "stuff," this "publicly humiliate someone who's just trying to do their job until they have to run into the breakroom and sob for five minutes" business.

The guy finally needed an intensive care bed this morning, which didn't surprise me.

Attending bother this morning to see the patient who night shift and myself watched swirl the drain slowly for almost 72 hours?

Nah.

Poetic Justice: The family thought the doctor sucked, too, and fired him, even before their loved one needed the ICU.

1 comment:

Ziggy said...

Double that "I f'n hate this job!" I wish I could have a job that involved large amounts of money, an ego the size of Texas, and absolutely no moral conscience whatsoever. I think the only time docs cry is over the fact that they didn't get cut in on an expensive surgery, and they're pissed.