Tuesday, April 03, 2007

bottled up

I wish to address mmr's thought-provoking comments from my last blog entry, but am too tired to do it justice, so will hold off at present.

Today I had a day that, for the first time at my job, I sincerely, honestly thought about keeping a flask of vodka in my glove compartment, and thought longingly of taking a swig of it before going home.

Also, I admitted a prisoner with two sheriff's deputies guarding him. You want to know the ugly irony of this situation? Prison Guy With HIV = decent, really nice, friendly guy. The guy who had occupied his bed less than four hours prior? Free Citizen, and Complete Whiny, Rude Ingrate who left AMA (against medical advice).

So, to recapitulate the fucked up essence of nursing in the 21st century: 1) Guy Shackled to the Bed And Incarcerated = Nice and Friendly To the Nurse, Happy To Be In the Hospital; 2) Guy Faking Stroke For Pain Medicine = Whiny, Rude and Abusive to the Nurse, and a Complete Asshole.




No comments: