Friday, April 06, 2007

soul asylum

Landmark: yesterday, at work, my soul was utterly crushed, my spirit evacuated of life, and my humanity utterly crushed.

I know this sounds totally melodramatic and implausible, but believe me, when you find yourself sobbing in the break room for the second time in two weeks, you know there's something objectively wrong with your working conditions.

I remember saying to a colleague: "I have been broken today as a human being, and I feel like I can never be fixed today."

The worst thing about this scenario: nurses and staff helped to precipitate this ontological crisis.

(Coincidentally, it was Good Friday, and I'm not sure which of the Stations of the Cross I actually didn't complete. It felt as if everyone yesterday got to beat me up, drag me into a public space, and then scream, "Crucify her! Crucify her!" And, I don't even get to have any theological benefit to this torture, either.)


No comments: