Wednesday, April 04, 2007

can't get it right today

Like Joe Purdy sings: "I just can't get it right today."

Or yesterday. Or probably tomorrow.

When work has been foul, and my personal life is going to hell in a handbasket, my traditional response options have been:

a) stoically endure the pain until I'm left clenched in the fetal position, unable to move any of my muscles as if myoclonically paralyzed.

b) have freaked out nightmares about work, In Which Someone Dies, And It's My Fault.

c) drive around the city in mid-day traffic until I realize urban traffic pisses me off more than anything else going on in my life

d) (the time honored favorite): drown my sorrows in straight up vodka. No chasers, no froo-froo mix. Just pure potato goodness, my friends.

I finally broke down and moved from options a-c to The Big Guns option "d" this afternoon, after refraining from buying the new edition of Wheelock's Latin and 501 Latin Verbs to cheer me up considerably.

As Josh Radin sang: "Digging a hole/and the walls are caving in."

That song was about falling in love, but I think it's temporarily applicable to my mental state as well.

No comments: