Sunday, April 29, 2007

professor envy

So, I am mad with jealousy: someone is knitting a sweater for their tenure-tracked professor sweetie.

Okay, I know this is beyond rude for me to even say something like that, given the circumstances.

But, do you know how often I fantasize about reading the latest draft of my fabulously degreed and tenured Other Half's stunning tour-de-force academic work, sure to become the next ground-breaking classic reference text of its kind? And then, having some dorky discussion about the etymology of some obscure word, and then waking up in the morning to "literary quote of the day"?

On the other hand, I did have my share of knitting for my own sweetie, who wore them proudly, in only a way a True Knitter can grow properly teary eyed and swoon. The winter Ibrahim came back from Egypt, I knit him a charcoal grey, V neck sweater out of a wool/alpaca blend. I also knit him a hat and scarf. He wore the sweater all the time, as well as the scarf. He wore the hat, sometimes, but he really wasn't much of a hat wearer.

Now, unfortunately, being summer in Baghdad, he doesn't need these kinds of things much any more. I am going to have to find a penpal from Iceland who needs woolen things, I think.

I should probably dig out my woolens for Seattle, though. I'll probably spend the summer experiencing some kind of climate-related low-grade pneumonia from the dampness.


No comments: