Tuesday, August 14, 2007

the chosen people

JAMIE:
[noting multisyllabic, more-vowels-than-consonants-surname of patient]
So, what country are you from, originally?

PATIENT:
[brightly]
I come from Poland, after the war. But first, I was in Argentina, Chile and Brazil. Chile was very much like California.

JAMIE:
Oh, I see. Must have been... uh... very warm there...

PATIENT:
[suddenly inspired]"
Are you Jewish?

JAMIE:
[startled by question]
Uh, I don't think so, no.

PATIENT:
[squinting myopically at a point just shy of the left side of my head]
Oh... but, you look Jewish!

JAMIE:
[looking for, and then finding,the man's bifocals on his table]
No, I don't think so. I'm Korean.

PATIENT:
[chuckles]
Oh! Korean! Well then, I don't think you're Jewish. Korea... let's see... that's next to China! You know, I think those people are going to take over the world one day. So many people! But that's not really so bad a thing, is it? Nice people, those Chinese.


No comments: