Wednesday, February 27, 2008

son of "as seen on t.v."


FAMILY MEMBER OF PATIENT WITH MASSIVE HEAD TRAUMA:
Well, ain't you gonna fix his head?

NURSE:
[empathetically as possible]
No, I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do. The patient has died.

FAMILY MEMBER:
[stubbornly]
Yeah, but I seen it on t.v.! They take the patient to surgery and fix 'em! And he ain't dead!

NURSE:
[sympathetically]
I'm really sorry, it's not possible.

FAMILY MEMBER:
[incredulously]
But, it was on t.v.! They take them to surgery! Y'all can't just leave it like that! You gotta fix it!

NURSE:
I'm really sorry. There's nothing more we can do for [the patient].

FAMILY MEMBER:
But they fix them all the time on t.v. What's wrong with you people?! You people are all wrong for that!


Frankly, I think this was one of the saddest interactions I've ever witnessed in my career.









No comments: