Saturday, July 07, 2007

dead like me.

One of the reasons I think the media-hyped "lucky day" theory is bullshit is simply because it's objectively bullshit. Any one that buys into this "lucky day" crap lives either in Pollyanna world, or has a major gambling problem.

Proof of my claims, you say?

Last Friday was one of my patient's thirtieth wedding anniversary.

I didn't know this until about two hours before my shift ended, even though his wife had been in the room at the beginning of my shift, and we had chatted. She was really nice and sweet, but she gave no indication that it was anniversary date.

So, I was in the room towards the end of my shift, doing my Nurse Stuff, and his son, who looked about twenty, came in, and said, 'Hey Dad, did Mom tell you it's your anniversary today? Thirty years. That's really something. Happy anniversary, Dad.'

And then his daughter looked up and said, 'Yeah, happy anniversary, daddy.'

And you know what his dad said to his son?

Nothing.

He didn't say anything to his daughter, either, who looked about sixteen, and was sitting there doing math problems out of a textbook all night long.

And you want to know why?

Because the guy had had a massive brain bleed a few weeks before, and he couldn't talk, or feed himself, or stand up, or move any of his limbs independently, for that matter. A few days ago, he couldn't even breathe on his own.

I thought, "Dude, this is so incredibly fucked up."

So fuck these idiot people and their stupid lucky day theory, because that guy and his family? Well, their luck sure as hell isn't gonna change.


No comments: