Monday, July 02, 2007

fake it til you make it.

I have one more shift of five-in-row, and I have to say I'm looking forward to a busy Monday, after a hellishly long four day weekend schedule, with about as much enthusiasm as facing an execution squad before I've at least had a chance to eat and relieve myself, which is what work can feel like on busy days.

My patients have been busy and fairly sick, but the family members have been totally high maintenance, which is twice as tiring as having to deal with puke, crap, sputum, bloody dressing changes, low blood sugars, cardiac arrests, and most other medical emergencies. I appreciate caring family members, sort of, but then, they also kind of annoy me, too, because sometimes, when they try to micromanage your nursing care of their loved one, you have to Fake Being Patient. For eight to twelve fucking hours. I can handle faking patience for about 30 seconds, and then I have to run away, decline some Latin nouns, or swear liberally in the med room about what a stupid assignment I have tonight, or whatever.

To that end, I find the med room is kind of like a destressing chamber for nurses. You can run in there, patients and their families can't follow you, and there's usually another nurse in their, swearing and complaining to herself, so you can commisserate while you draw up some ativan or whatever (for your patient, not for you, or for their family members).

Where do normal-job people go to bitch about work-place stressors?

I guess that would be call the local bar or pub.



No comments: