Sunday, June 04, 2006

Best Friends Forever

So I'm sitting here waiting for the cable guy to come and hook up my expensive basic cable, which I probably don't even need, but according to Murphy's Law will if I don't hook it up and cough up the fifty bucks a month. Any way, he's supposed to be here any time between 11a-4p. I wish I had a job that I could just show up whenever I wished. Talk about self-scheduling!

This morning I went on a bunny cage run, and found out that stuff here is more expensive than I'm used to. Florida stuff is cheaper, but then, the wages there tend to suck unless you are a Colombian drug lord, which you just might be depending on where you live. Now the bunny is safely caged, and I can spend more time staring out into space vacantly without interruptions--no need to be ultravigilant about her whereabouts and snack choices now ! (Prime treats lately have been baseboards.)

Contrary to popular belief, rabbits aren't dumb, either.

Lately, the minute she knows something pisses me off, she immediately goes into Bad Bunny Overdrive, thereby drumming up even more trouble. I'm not anthropomorphizing either, although I suppose you have to be indoctrinated into the subtle art of conversing in Lagomorph-ese to get what I'm talking about. For example, you can scold a rabbit, but it generally gets the same results as paging a house officer, which is to say you get a quizzical, why-the-hell-did-you-bother glare from either breed.

Any way, the dog came with me this morning, because it's much cooler up here, and he can stay in the car without becoming Dessicated Dead Dog. Plus, I'm still slightly lonely and need a buddy.

Can I just gush here about my dog, and what a wonderful friend he is? It sounds way pro-PETA, save-the-baby-seals granola talk, but he is.

For over ten years Piper and I have traveled the country together, exploring new and different places practically every other year. We get in the car, he curls up in a ball and goes to sleep, and when he wakes up, we're somewhere else. He's great company, never complains, is always happy to be along for the ride, and keeps himself busy inspecting the new place whenever we get to our destination. He also provides a random alert system, although I think he's so friendly he'd probably let in Ted Bundy (had the State of Florida not executed him) and show him right where I sleep. He is, however, very proficient in letting me know about Scary Tree Noises and normal automobile noise from the parking lot.

Piper and I have been together since my Sarasota/New College days, and he's still the same happy-go-lucky, laid-back dog he was back then, except he doesn't chew on forbidden objects like shoes and table legs anymore (once, as a puppy, he chewed a hole in the drywall when we left him in the bathroom. Needless to say, we never did that again).

I wish that cable guy would get here, by the way. I'll probably get a call from the company at 3:59p.m. this afternoon saying I "live too far away" for service, knowing my luck.


No comments: