Sunday, June 04, 2006

Go Live

Okay, so there are probably other, more morally justifiable things to be thankful for, but I now have wireless internet access of my own! I almost thought about cancelling the whole cable thing, because I watch maybe an hour of t.v. a week (if I'm not at work) and the crap channels--mostly basic network plus some stupid sports channels, like I care--I get for 15 bucks a month aren't exactly rocking my world.

But alleviating myself from the slightly annoying scrounging around for a wireless internet signal, well, that's something worth forking over a couple hours worth of pay, I suppose. I can't really justify the expenditure, really, other than the happiness that a full-signal indicator on the wireless icon gives me (meanwhile, must find a way to encrypt same, as I am a ruthless, coldhearted bitch.)

I also went to see my new hospital today; it takes 15 minutes in good traffic, although I can see bad traffic making the thing a scary hour drive. Incidentally, drivers around here are really pushy about merging into lanes. They don't seem to care if there's a car in the space they wish to merge, which frankly gets a little scary at times, because I started wondering if my car is invisible, or whether they consider out-of-town vehicles fair game. They also seem to be in a big hurry, which is ironic considering the bottlenecking that occurs about every five miles on the Beltway, especially southbound.

Otherwise, people seem generally friendly and polite, and my new hospital makes my old one look like a rundown ghetto community hospital that was last au courant back in 1975. Oh yeah, it was. This hospital is in the middle of a suburb, with modern glass siding, pretty landscaping and oodles of parking. I didn't see any old dime bags of crack on the sidewalks, and no one had burglar guards on their windows, either. If the inside is as nice as the outside, and if management is even marginally better than what I came from, this should be a decent assignment.

At least tomorrow I'll be around people, because staring at the parking lot from my bedroom is starting to make me feel like Anne Frank.

No comments: