Tuesday, December 12, 2006

animal crackers

I know it's actually Christmas season, but does any one else have a problem when Easter rolls around, and you get that big chocolate bunny (or did, as a kid, any way) with the colorful foil wrapping, and then you have to eat the bunny?

I may have had a way over-active imagination for a nine year old who enjoyed reading hagiographies of martyred Catholic saints, but it always felt like I was committing a torture-murder. It would take me months to eat the chocolate bunny rabbit, mostly because of the extreme guilt. I'd finally start with the ears, but I had a real problem eating the head with the little rabbity face etched on it.

To this day, I even have a problem eating candy shaped like little animals, because I'm killing the candy animals.

On the other hand, completely wacked hypocrite that I am, I eat defenseless dead, cooked cow and chicken all the time. Maybe someone should form my hamburger into a cute little baby calf, so I would never eat meat again.

No comments: