Tuesday, December 12, 2006

eye spy

The following is a conversation I horned in on at change-of-shift this morning, lest you think my night was all stop-and-go hearts and thoughts of fleeing to Aruba and just never coming back:

NURSE 1, to day shift nurse:
Dude, last night, I had the two patients with fake eyeballs, and it was so freaky, because every time you went in their rooms, they'd be asleep, but that eye would be staring at you like this: [prises eye lids away from own eyeball with thumb and forefinger in amazing lifelike imitation of prosthetic eyeball; day shift nurse chuckles politely.]

JAMIE:
[horning in on conversation]
Dude! I had those patients the other night! They looked dead, but they weren't! It was totally freaky.

NURSE 1:
[chuckling].
But funny.

JAMIE:
Yeah, totally freaky and funny.

As you can see, after overnight shifts, I don't have a lot of wit and verve, but two patients with prosthetic eyeballs... I feel like calling tbs's funny hotline to check and make sure prosthetic eyeballs are funny, and if funny, how much of a laugh they rate.


No comments: