Friday, December 22, 2006

quid novi?

Behold, I give you the text that needs no further introduction: Wheelock's Latin: 6th Edition Revised.

(Shown below with U.S. nickel for size comparison.)


Don't the crisp white pages make your eyeballs' cones and rods want to rejoice? Isn't the cover-art stunning?! Doesn't a snapshot of the text make you nostalgic for ass-numbingly repetitive hours of declension enjoyment?!

It does me, boy-howdy.


I mean, look at all the tasty subjunctive goodness! Look at it, I say! (The subjunctive is one of my favorite grammatical moods (even in French, I like it that much!):



And despite Wheelock (prejudiciously and unfairly, I think) prefacing the passive periphrastic (gerundive + sum) as "horrendous," it remains my favorite conjugation*, along with the ablative absolute, because alliteration is fun, kids!

Rumor has it you can even get a copy of Wheelock's in braille! It's an equal-opportunity pedagogical experience!

It's just too much for this discipula. I need to go lie down in a darkened room to recover my nerves. Meanwhile, run, don't walk (!) to your nearest website browser or favorite bookstore vendor and purchase a copy of Wheelock's Latin today!

*I reserve the right to change my mind about this one, because I also really favor the plus quam perfectum, although I think it sounds more lyrical in French--yes, French, ladies and gentlemen--"le plus-que-parfait." It's the "more than perfect." I suppose it's the grammatical equivalent of "extra virgin."







No comments: