Tuesday, December 19, 2006

overheard

(3 a.m. Passing by nurse station):

NURSE #1
Is it... ummm... that piece of paper, over there?

UNIT CLERK:
No.

TECH:
Um... that book?

UNIT CLERK:
Noooo! Try again.

NURSE #1:
Uh... the tele monitor numbers?

UNIT CLERK;
Nope. Last chance, guys.

JAMIE:
[on her way into patient room, overhears conversation]
Dude, don't tell me you are playing "I Spy," are you?

UNIT CLERK:
[abashed, giggles]
Yes, we are.

NURSE #1:
Actually, we're playing "Bumblebee, Bumblee."

JAMIE:
Huh?

UNIT CLERK:
Yeah: "Bumblebee, bumblebee, I see something you don't see." That's the way I learned it when I was a kid.

JAMIE:
[sitting down to play, too]
Okay.

Half an hour passes.

UNIT CLERK:
Y'all have to hear these stupid messages my stupid ex boyfriend left on my cell phone.

[plays messages over cellphone speaker phone; male voice with strong southern drawl is heard making spurious claims, apparently, of being a "changed man"]

UNIT CLERK:
[Giggles hysterically]

CHARGE NURSE:
Girl, how could you fuck someone who sounds like that?

THE REST OF US:
[Laugh appreciatively]

NURSE #1:
[inconsequently]
Man, I need to get laid.

CHARGE NURSE:
How 'bout call [unit clerk's] boyfriend?

[More time passes]

UNIT CLERK:
Hey [Nurse #1], remember that guy who hid the tele box, and wouldn't tell you where he put it? That was so funny.

NURSE #1:
Yeah, that bastard. That wasn't funny.

JAMIE:
He did what? Was he old and demented?

NURSE #1:
No. He was like, fifty. Stupid fucker.

JAMIE:
Ooo! Scary. So, where'd you finally found it?

NURSE #1:
Next room over. He hid it in another room. I spent half a shift running around trying to find that fucking thing. Ass.

JAMIE:
Nice! What happened to him?

NURSE #1:
Finally signed out AMA.

JAMIE:
No kidding.

[More time passes]

UNIT CLERK:
Oh my god! Remember that guy with the way swollen balls the size of cantaloupes!? Mr. B----, what was his name?

NURSE #1:
[bitterly]
Mr B---.

UNIT CLERK:
You actually remember his name?!

JAMIE:
So what happened to Mr. B... Mr. Balls?

UNIT CLERK:
He smelled funny. Remember how he used to come and sit out at the nurse's station, and just sit there, and smell?

NURSE #1:
Yeah. He had to have a section cut out of his wheelchair to accomadate his balls.

JAMIE:
I'm trying really hard not to imagine that.

UNIT CLERK:
Oh my god! That's right!

JAMIE:
[musing]
How did the Ball guy fit into pants?!

NURSE #1:
[as if I'm retarded]
He didn't. He wore a hospital gown.

JAMIE:
No, I mean, in the real world. What'd he wear? A mumu?

NURSE #1:
I have no fucking idea.

JAMIE:
What, you didn't follow Ball Guy home and check? That's like, a research project, right there, I'm telling you.













No comments: