Monday, May 14, 2007

cujo terrorizes local burger joint

There are reasons why I love The South. Subtle, mysterious reasons that I can't quite explain at present.

And also, glaringly obvious reasons, like the following conversation I overheard at a monolithically giant fast food chain in Podunk, Tennessee, between a manager and his erstwhile employees. (I must here confess I was ordering that traditional American favorite, Deep Fried Lard Masquerading as Potato Pieces:

MANAGER:
[to employees]
Now, y'all, I don't wanna know what it is y'all know.

EMPLOYEES:
[Chuckle vaguely, apparently unsure what it is they know the manager doesn't.]

MANAGER:
But, y'all gotta protect the food, 'cause there's this big ol' dog who's been loose around these here parts for hours now. Sheriff's out looking for him and all.

JAMIE:
[thinks]
Protect the food?!



No comments: