Friday, May 18, 2007

the wall


For various reasons, I had to stop off for a half an hour or longer in Wall, South Dakota. One reason was because I feared blood clots in my extremities if I sat in the car any longer.

Another reason is because the ubiquitous signs had been brainwashing me for about a hundred miles with their urgent advertisements for Wall Drugs. By the time I reached Wall, South Dakota, I felt like I might regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't see what "Wall Drugs" was. I kept waiting for the sign to say, "Wall Drug Store" or "Wall Pharmacy," but sign after sign remained insistent that highway road travelers not miss the attraction, but kept mysteriously coy about elaborating what Wall Drugs actually was. In fact, some of the signs simply said, "Wall Drugs," period, with no other explanation.

It's a clever marketing scam, actually.

I loved Wall, South Dakota.

Why, you ask? Because it's Wall, South Dakota, duh.

And, the signs told me to go there.

What did I see there?

That, dear blog readers, is a story for another billboard. I mean, blog post.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I actually went there about 30 years ago - and I have the photos to prove it. I'll have to find them and show them to you.
Amy