Saturday, May 19, 2007

rabbits with antlers and gold diggers: these are a few of my favorite things.

I liked Wall, South Dakota a lot. One of the reasons was the juxtaposition of the sacred and profane.

Just kidding.

What I meant to say is: the juxtaposition of kitsch and absurdity just sent my postmodern mind a'spinnin'.

It was beautiful, I tell you! I could have spent hours (well, one or two, any way) in that little town, taking pictures and wondering what it would be like to live in a town this small and so proud of itself that practically every single institution in the place was named "Wall."

And, there were several mind bending mysteries to ponder for the next gazillion miles of South Dakota, such as:

I'm still trying to understand why they didn't make this rabbit something more like an antelope, rather than... well, a rabbit. I don't understand: why the antlers?! Why the saddle?!


And, "gold digging" and "gold diggers" has come to mean something very different in the colloquial parlance of young people today. Therefore, the naively named Gold Diggers has a sort of innocent poignancy to it:

Plus, what does a faux-medieval castle look have to do with midwestern gold mining?


Ah, Wall, South Dakota. We love that you live perpetually in 1965. We never, ever want you to catch up!

No comments: