Monday, May 14, 2007

driving yourself insane.

So, the one thing I didn't really, truly factor into this whole driving from sea to shining sea thing, was how much driving is really involved.

As an example: I woke up at 3:30 a.m. and was on the road at 4:30 a.m., and drove until 5:00p.m. I am in a different time zone! I've been in three different states today! I almost got crushed by a semi-truck due to inattentiveness at the 12 hour mark! (Note: My mother does not read this blog, so I can say things like the last part without having the National Guard come crashing through my hotel door post haste on account of maternal distress).

All in all, this was not one of my better-thought-out-plans. Sure, it'll be cool to say, "I drove cross-country by myself, with a dog and rabbit for companions!" But that's assuming I even make it to Seattle. Which I'm beginning to doubt. My Lewis and Clark sense of adventure is a lot less Lewis and Clark today than it was at 6:00p.m. yesterday.

I can't imagine those pioneer women that followed their men from East Coast to West Coast. It sounded so romantic when I read Laura Ingall's Little House on the Prairie series.

Oh yeah: I went through Nashville and got nostalgic for my College Days (Katy! I passed by the Briley Parkway and Opryland exit! I thought of Opry Mills! Fondly, if you must know.)

Now what?






1 comment:

Zwieblein said...

Yeah, I did enjoy deconstructing the social life of the American 20-to-30-something over white Russians at Gillian's. Then getting lost in that hotel-cum-theme park.