Tuesday, May 08, 2007

nurses appreciation week

It's funny how I've been a nurse for nearly two years, worked in a hospital for going on almost four, and never knew this nurses week thing was, you know, a thing.

One thing I really miss about my old staff job is the nurses with whom I worked. I would never say work was "fun" but I worked both swing shift and day shift, and I used to remember, especially on evenings, when the shit hit the fan, and things would go completely bonkers, that those nurses always had each other's backs.

With every travel assignment, it's getting harder and harder not to have those nurses around. I really, really miss having friends at work I look forward to seeing. It was one of the reasons I stayed at that job as long as I did, actually, and when nurses started leaving the floor in droves, it played into my burn-out, and eventually, I left, too. I knew when I left, though, that I would regret leaving those nurses.

I thought the facility sucked, I thought management was a bunch of 'hos, but I loved working with those nurses. They were teachers, mentors, and friends. Even though many of my friends left before or after I did, we still keep in touch.

If I hadn't worked with those nurses, my get-away plan would have been perfect.




No comments: