Sunday, June 03, 2007

architechtonic

I don't know about you all, but I know when I can't sleep, I wake up at 3:30 a.m. and think to myself, "Now, what kind of Kantian pun can I play in my blog title today?"

Here is a building I took a picture of at a safe distance. The area is kind of sketchy over there, and I once found myself wandering around the neighborhood thinking, "I don't think it's quite safe for me to be wandering around this neighborhood alone. I'm a very small person, and quite unarmed."

(This was confirmed when about fifty people stood around and watched a teen gang member get the shit kicked out of him by another, rival teen gang member. In the age of cell phones, they all just stood there, gaping numbly and watching the kid get kicked in the head. This scene did not inspire any confidence in me that were I attacked in broad daylight--let alone nightfall--any one would actually stop and at least call the police, or offer to help.)


I wanted to point out this building to David, however, because a) you don't want to be housed there and b) doesn't it look like Seattle's response to Radisson Inn Harborview, Duluth, MN?

I think so, any way.

I also like these "wedge buildings" as I like to call them (you know, architecture is something else I know very little about. So I beg the pardon of all the architects who will now come to this site and scoff at my inability to correctly name building types. But, maybe they will be kind, like I am to the people who come up to me while I'm knitting, thank you very much, and say something like, "Oh, my grandma used to crochet the most beautiful afghans!")

These buildings with the crazy angles also make me think of Expressionist film. But, if I were an architect, I'd be shaking my head and thinking, "You idiot. I can't believe you just said that. Amateur!"

2 comments:

mam said...

Greetings from New Zealand! I'm watching the news, and in the background of the weather report, quite loudly, they're playing the old pop song "Black Hole Sun."

Say, why didn't you call the police at the gang fight? What happened to the guy losing the fight?

mmr

Ziggy said...

Ironically, I happened to be standing in a cell phone store because I'd waterlogged my cellphone. So the store clerk called instead. I went over to make sure the guy was okay. He wanted nothing to do with me Meanwhile, more gang members were running around, and no one else bothered to see if the kid was okay until the cops showed up. Nice, responsible community.