Monday, June 18, 2007

the space needle.


...with a pointy red sculpture framing it.

We also learned in Seattle that people like to put up lots and lots of signs to tell you what to do, and what not to do, such as:


Or:


Or the mysterious, almost prophetic pronouncement:


It's kind of like having a version of mom, Jesus and some wacko prophet like, say, I don't know, Weird Al Yankovich or Tammy Faye Baker, giving you life advice etched into or attached to practically any concrete public surface available!

So, clearly, some people aren't reading the signs of life:

[The sign says: "Thank you for staying on the path so the grass can grow."]

LOOK PEOPLE! HE IS NOT ON THE PATH! HE IS ON THE GRASS! AAAAAGH!

Whenever I pointed these signs out to someone, someone flagrantly disregarded said sign.

Which is funny, because whenever someone points out to me that the car is going to run you over if you step into the street now, I listen!

Oh wait, maybe that's different somehow.


8 comments:

Zwieblein said...

Have you found the statue of Lenin yet? Unfortunately, I can't remember where it might be. Oddly enough, I don't remember any instructions surrounding that sculpture.

Ziggy said...

I don't know. It seems familiar enough, though. I imagine seeing Lenin as a statue in the middle of Seattle is instruction enough ;).

Amy said...

"Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign"

("And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply" )

Lyrics from "Signs", 1970, by the Five Man Electrical Band

Just a little blast from the past...

OMG, they've got a statue of Lenin?! Please photograph it!

Also, don't forget to go to The Elliott Bay Book Company and Peet's Coffee.

My Xmas gift to myself in 2005 was a coffee grinder and a bag of beans mailed from Peet's. Sadly, I gave away the grinder when I moved out.

They also do teas, even rare teas.

The Elliott Bay Book Company
http://www.elliottbaybook.com/

Peet's Coffee and Tea
http://www.peets.com/shop/tea_rare.asp
http://www.peets.com/who_we_are/who_we_are.asp

Ziggy said...

Yeah, there was one, which I didn't post, that said, "No fires." NO FIRES?! How am I supposed to light my bong, man?!

Amy said...

Well, that can't have all those people who dropped acid back at the Krazy Klown Korner and Forest of Doom playing with fire. That might get a little out of control.

NPO said...

Hey you told me to stand on the grass. In Seattle I'm surprised it was real grass, the guy around the corner had the expensive stuff.

Ziggy said...

Yes, but only because you were standing on the grass, and "going off the path" every time I pointed out the sign, and I wanted photographic proof of your illicit activity. What guy around the corner? Is this a relative of the guy who sells turtles out of the back his van in Orlando?

mam said...

just back in nashville, and back to work looking up the mysteries on your blog. explanation for h'loo-loo-loo-loo:
http://www.haddad-drugan.com/projects/undercurrents.html
keep the stories coming.
mmr

i don't recommend getting a phd, ps. it's a lot harder than i thought.