Saturday, June 02, 2007

the meet market

So, one thing I've noticed is that the vendors at the open air markets here are very friendly. I realize you're paying for the friendliness, but, it's also kind of nice. And,I feel like I'm at least contributing to a more authentic mafia front than that the Super Chain Store Grocery corporate "organization" variety.)

This stand is where I bought some fruit, and looked dubiously at a Grapple ("An apple that tastes like a grape!" or so it was advertised):



(The girl with the braids sold me fruit; specifically, a type of pear I usually don't eat, but was very tasty. So I bought two of them. But mostly, I think I just got sucked into the friendly schtick/schmooze.)

On Sundays, Piper and I go here (I say that like we've been so many times, or something) to buy bread:


And, I don't really have a need for fish I have to gut and prepare myself, but if I did, I'd go here, the Pike Place Fish Co.:


(Believe it or not, my first introduction to this place was this work orientation video thing at a hospital. It's true: those guys really do throw fish around and yell like maniacs. It is fun to watch, but I fail to see how that applies to hospital nursing, Mr. Orientation Guy At The Hospital. I mean, I don't think people want their labor and delivery nurses throwing the preemies through the air and laughing jovially and shouting "Oy, there!" when mom and dad miss their catch-of-the-day).

No comments: