Saturday, June 02, 2007

happy hippie festival day.

So, I picked up some stuff at Scary Ghetto Pharmacy earlier today, and thought I'd wander down to the market place to see what was up. (I would have photographed Scary Ghetto Pharmacy, but then while I was waiting in line, I heard the following conversation):
WOMAN #1:
This used to be a nice [National Chain Drug Store]. I mean, I remember when it was new.
Then, I got mugged.

WOMAN #2:
Really?! Where?!

WOMAN #1:
Right outside the door. They took my purse, everything! So, I went over to [This Other Local Drug Store] for awhile. But, now they hired those two security guards, and things have gotten a lot better.

JAMIE:
[thinks to self]

Dude. Two security guards?! I didn't see any security guards!

So, in the interests of Jamie Safety, I did not take out my Ultra Cheap-o Digital Camera in front of [National Chain Drugstore] to document How Scary It Was, in case the National Chain Drugstore mugger was around, while the redoubtable security guard dynamic duo were off on their lunch break, or something.

Any hoo.

Apparently, there was a Pike Place Market Festival going on (I didn't know this because I live under a rock. ) With roasted corn! And loads of people! And lots of weird statues of pigs (see SPAM post!) And more kitschy goodness than you could stuff into the kitschiest kitsch kit-and-kaboodle and ever! Thoughtfully, I took pictures of the back sides of the tents for you, so you can't see anything interesting:

Aside from the Balloon Man (see colorful post below), there was Singing Jazzy Piano Playing Political Protester Guy, who I mostly photographed for Amy:



And then I came across Singing Guitar-Playing Guy, who was playing a Death Cab For Cutie song, which made me think of Katy:


(Doesn't the woman on the stairs look like she's been bathed in rapturous angelic light? Or, failing that, maybe... emitting radioactive fall-out? I wish I could say I did that on purpose, or did something artful and slick with my camera to get that special effect. But, I can't, because I didn't.)


No comments: