Sunday, June 24, 2007

the truth about cats and dogs

Alright, I realize this post would be a lot funnier if the batteries in my camera hadn't died at a most unfortunate time, and I had actual pictures to post along with this entry.

But believe me, it was worth blogging about.

This morning, Piper and I did our usual Sunday morning jaunt to the Market. I take him, despite the crowds, because it is a great educational, fun place to be.

Educational, you say?

Educational, I say.

As evidenced by: "World of Cats: Cat Advice" stand, which was basically a guy in this this tiny, makeshift stand, with a poster and a cat. The cat appeared to have some kind of cat clothing on, I think. When I walked by the stand, the guy was talking very earnestly to some random guy who had been suckered into asking what the Cat Advice was all about. Cat Guy was, it seemed, talking ferverntly about the mission statement of "World of Cats: Cat Advice." (You could tell Random Guy was only standing there listening to be polite, and wasn't really interested in the schtick, and was getting sorry he'd ever asked Cat Guy anything at all.)

Okay.

To be honest, the first thing I though when I saw the stand was, "Oh my God! I wonder if this guy claims to be a cat psychic!"

(Yes, they exist. No, I haven't consulted one. Yet.)

I wanted to ask Cat Guy if his Cat Advice included some kind of psychic component, but he seemed to be talking about how Neutering Cats Is Good For The World rather than offering Sophia Brown For Cats advice, so I deferred the question.

Any way, as I continued on my my way to Piroshky, Piroshky for my overpriced-but-worth-it breakfast piroshky, I started thinking I could do the same thing. You know, set up a Dog Advice stand, with Piper as the mascot. I could stand around all day, showcasing Piper, asking for donations for "free advice" (never mind it's supposed to be free).

I could get kickbacks from market merchants by doing some advertising with my "psychic advice": "Your dog is saying to me quite clearly that he would like a pirkoshy. I'm not sure if I'm getting a read on beef and cheese or the smoked salmon, but he definitely wants you to take him to the piroshky shop."

Here is where another fun little picture would have been posted, had my friggin camera been working.

A little way past the piroshky shop, they had a little band playing, called "Dog Mafia," replete with several large, bored-looking dogs lying at their owners' feet. It was priceless.

And of course, my camera batteries were dead.

See, if I had a Cat Psychic, maybe I would have already known my camera batteries were going to be dead, and I wouldn't have been so disappointed when I couldn't take pictures of this stuff.






No comments: