Tuesday, June 26, 2007

the boob tube

This post is kind of a response to Katy's recent blog post about the amount of time Americans spend watching t.v. (seven hours a day!)

I was thinking about this last night, and even commented to David the other night about how much more I watch t.v. when I have cable, as opposed to three, very fuzzy English channels and one quite clear Spanish channel, like Telemundo (which I sometimes watch, because if you've ever watched a soap opera on Telemundo, you know there's nothing quite like it. Except a Korean soap opera, where lovers say to each other romantic things like, "You know, when I look at you, the dopamine and serotonin just flow within me. It's amazing, what neurotransmitters do to you when you're in love!" I'm surprised, incidentally, with awkward, esoteric one-liners like this, that Korean people still exist, because how do you ever get laid saying things like that? Well, apparently you do if you're on a Korean soap opera.)

I now have a habit of sitting and vegging out in front of a lot of very violent, gory t.v. programs. I like to say I'm into detective shows because of my dad, and how he used to come home and tell us funny stories about autopsies at dinner (you see now why I adapted so well to life as a nurse). I even wanted to be a forensic scientist as a kid. That, or a vet. Or a concert pianist. Or, you know, a Las Vegas flaminco dancer, or whatever.

Okay, so I had this habit before, I was just too poor to afford cable and/or tired off out from working night shift to indulge it.

I don't know if I've ever sat and watched 7 hours of t.v. continuously, or even throughout the course of a day, though. I do know the most depressing, crappy Christmas I ever had involved me watching some real heartwarming movie like Road to Peridition (watch gangster Dad die!) and The Pianist (watch everybody die!).


1 comment:

mam said...

Yea! I win! I love to win contests. Will you please put more contests on your blog? I need something else to work on while I watch 7+hours (according to Katy) of "Law & Order" every day.
mmr